Re: secure pop3

* Michael Knoop (mknoop@uic.edu) [010802 11:41]:
> I have done this, and it is not hard.  You have to connect SSH with local
> port forwarding on port 110.  Then, set your mail client to use a pop3
> server on localhost.  SSH will forward the pop3 request to the connected
> machine and send your mail back along the same connection, as if the server
> were running on your own desktop machine.  If you want this to be secure,
> you have to have port 110 blocked on your desktop with IP chains or the
> like.  Otherwise, anyone else can address the pop3 server by addressing
> your desktop.

This is only the case if you use the -g option with ssh or have
"GatewayPorts yes" in your config file. The default is (thankfully)
"no". Otherwise, the forwarded port is bound to the localhost interface
only.

NB: It still may not be a bad idea to put a packet filter on your
desktop machine as well.

Vineet