Re: apt and other sources.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Halil Demirezen wrote:

> When I first install the Debian, I have specified apt source ->
> cdrom. But, after I downloaded a deb pack. into the harddisk, I could not
> install it by using "apt-get install ..".
> Can you give example changes in the
> "/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/source.list" file?

Hello,

you can install an individual package by:
dpkg --install package.deb

But if you want to download more packages and use apt, add these lines to
/etc/apt/sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/debian stable main contrib non-free

deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib  non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ potato/updates main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US/ potato/non-US main contrib

deb-src ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/debian stable main contrib non-free

This will give you access to the stable (potato) and testing (woody)
archive, as well as to non-us, security updates and sources. Change
ftp.nl.uu.net with your favorite (nearby) server.
Then run:
apt-get update

If you install a package now with apt, dependencies are solved.

> Should I configure this file or take another action to achieve installing
> a deb package in the harddisk (e.g /dev/hda1).

You could have a local archive for packages, but that is only attractive
if you have losts of non-debian distributed packages.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan