Re: shared root account

  Nice little storm of a chain I managed to start here... Quite off
the original topic, mainly, where I trust the users. Many good points
have been noted and basically all of them have been argued both pro and
con. I will do a little summary here:

  1) Some people like sudo, some think it is not secure enough. In my
     situation, where I am not worried about legitimate users trying
     to get elevated privileges, this might just work. On the other
     hand, the point that sudo elevates ordinary users' passwords into
     root passwords obviously makes it easier for an illegitimate user
     to gain root - it suffices to gain any sudoer's password and then
     employing any of the methods mentioned here to gain root with
     sudo regardless of the permissions allowed to that users by sudo.
     Solution to that would be expiring passwords and installing some
     password sanity checker - that way at least the users' passwords
     ought to be fairly good and new, i.e. hard to crack. Of course if
     someone cracks user A, who is NOT a sudoer and attempts to sudo,
     we get log entries and even if A IS a sudoer, but the culprit has
     simply managed to spawn A's shell and is trying to sudo, we get
     log entries. No use of sudo's logging, as noted earlier, if the
     attacker really has the password of a sudoer: logs can be cleaned
     unless they are a) sent to another, secure, machine or b) they
     are written to a write-once medium (anyone logging onto paper or
     CD, for example? - grepping a paper ought to be ... fun?).
  2) A few people like ssh RSA-auth. Good idea. But I may (will) need
     access to these machines in situations when there is no network,
     i.e. running manual fsck's after a power failure. No way of
     ssh'ing into the box at that time. I will need the root password
     anyway.
  3) A few people would create additional uid=0 accounts. Since my
     situation is akin to one with multiple admins trusting each other
     (more exactly - it's _they_ who are trusting _me_, not the other
     way around), this might be a good idea. No one would have to get
     familiar with sudo (I know that would cause some resistance - it
     would be viewed as something they do not need to get accustomed
     to) and I would get my root. Of course, sudo would give me nice
     logs of what the others have done - which is quite important if I
     am to keep the boxes secure: not knowing what's been changed
     makes that pretty hard. This is my option number 2 anyway, if
     people resist learning to type 'sudo' instead of logging in as
     root or saying 'su'.
  4) Someone also noted that having linux workstations in the first place
     is a bad idea due the X's flawed security but I do not seem to remember
     any way of popping up windows on someone else's display when X
     server is properly configured (i.e. only to accept connections
     from localhost with a proper MIT secret cookie (or other auth
     mechanism).

  As I said above, in my situation, sudo is very appealing: keeping
root password to myself and letting the workstation users sudo (or vice
versa). One question raises however: If I have multiple uid=0 accounts,
will any of their passwords suffice as "root" password when entering
single user mode? Obviously sudo will not do here, so I will need a
root password, period. The other users will have to make do with either
sudo or multiple uid=0 accounts. Multiple uid=0 accounts sounds better
in that it does not elevate ordinary passwords into root passwords (of
course, in practice people may keep them the same - can that be
helped?) but on the other hand, sudo would log... I will have to see
how much use of their root accounts these people really make.
  Although many of the replies did not answer my question at all, some
of them had good points, thanks to those.

		| Juha Jäykkä, juolja@utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|