Re: [security] iptables

also sprach GARGIULO Eduardo INGDESI (on Mon, 02 Jul 2001 04:25:57PM -0300):
> I was using ipchains, but now I have kernel v2.4.5 with iptables.
> I want to know how to monitor masqueraded connections. I mean the
> output of
>
> ipchains -L -M -v
>
> using iptables. I didn't found it in man iptables.

well, a masquerade entry for iptables is achieved with the line:

  iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s $INTRANETSUBNET -j MASQUERADE

so intuitively, you'd view the entry with

  iptables -t nat -L -M -v

*but* that doesn't work because iptables has been cleaned entirely off
the masquerading stuff (which is now a module) so as to be a real
packet filter, not a mangler. anyway, the netfilter team left the -M
switch out because sooner or later, iptables won't do any masquerading
anymore as it's not supposed to do that in the first place.

to monitor masq'd connections, i use iptraf, which works quite well
actually.

printer not ready.
could be a fatal error.
have a pen handy?