Proxy arp or bridge ?

Hi,

sorry if this is a little bit off topic:

I am supposed to set up a firewall for ~ 60 PC's belonging to a part of a
subnet.

As far as I have understood there are (at least) 2 possibilities for such a
setup.
- Use proxy arp, and set a route for every PC behind the firewall
- Configure the firewall as bridge

I would prefer the proxy arp solution, but this would imply to set up 60
routes, if I am correct. Would this be a performance problem ?
The firewall will be a pentium 133, kernel 2.4.5, with 2Intel Ether Express
cards.

So, my question:

- Any opinions about which would be the best (easy to setup and maintain)
most secure or fastest (in terms of network speed) solution ?

- Is there an easier solution then to set up a route for every ip, when the
ip's are part of a larger subnet and not continuous ?
And how will performane decrease as a function of the number of routes ?

Any hints apprechiated.

Daniel

Daniel Faller
Fakultaet fuer Physik