Re: How to route

Marco Tassinari writes:

 > >> Maybe you could give server's address to firewall ;-) Then you don't
 > >> have to touch router's configuration.
 >
 >  Good idea! But is it a Good Thing? mhhh... yes, it seems!
 > Ok, as a definitive solution I'll do it and update to
You definitly don't have to update to iptables and 2.4 kernels
to NAT.

 > iptables to re-NAT the real address of the server. For now I'll just
 > enable bridging in the kernel and filter connections in the 'bridge' chain
 > of ipchains. It's faster enougth!
 >  By the way, I have to patch the kernel 2.2.17 (or 18 or 19)
 > to do bridging, isnt'it?
You don't have to patch your kernel, however, if you didn't compiled
it yourself, enabling bridging, nat (and so on) modules needed, you
must recompile your kernel. For the moment, i don't use kernel-package
and kernel-sources-<version> to compile and install my kernel(s), but
it may (must ;-) be a good solution to begin (and to end ...).

Last thing, i'm wondering why you need bridging ? I presume you are
making a mismatch between NAT and Ethernet-Bridging, which are significantly
different ... You should take a look to kernel docs and read a little
about bridging (i think you don't need it, but i may be wrong, may i missed
something) ... Now it's time to compile ... Information about those things
are outside the scope of this list i suppose.

Regards.

--
Davy Gigan
System & Network Administration