Re: How to route

   See inline...jc

Thusly Thwacked By Davy Gigan:
> Marco Tassinari writes:
>  >
>  > Hallo,
>  >  I wonder what is the best solution for security in this ascii-art
>  > network:
>  >
>  >
>  >            [router]
>  >               |
>  >            [let's call it firewall even if it's not one for the moment]
>  >               |
>  >               +--------------|-------------|----....----|
>  >               |              |             |            |
>  >            [server]         [PC]          [PC]         [PC]
>  >
>  >
>  >  The toplogy is untouchable: this is a marketing request.
>  >   In the empty space I put my firewall: a filter and proxy (squid)
>  >   server, debian potato with kernel 2.2.19, ipchains made.
>  >   It seems a good solution to me.
> Hum, it seems to be good, but you should take great care this machine
> would become your main headache for security purposes. Evidence is
> all your connected pc are in local subnets and router is configured
> to drop any local subnet paquets attempting to go out.
>
>  >   The trouble is a preimposted NAT table in the router: the unique
>  >   external IP is remapped to the internal address of the server.
> Maybe you could give server's address to firewall ;-) Then you don't
> have to touch router's configuration.

   I second this suggestion.  If your firewall is the address of
   your server, you could set it to only pass connections to the
   server that have destination=firewall and specified ports for
   the allowed services.  I assume the route is doing a direct
   mapping 1:1 NAT, no port address transation for the server and
   dynamic M:1 or M:N NAT for the PC population.

>  >   I don't know how to say the router 'route add default gw firewall'...
> You should never do that since i suppose router is your external access, default
> route must be another router ... But you can tell router to redirect all stuff
> for server to firewall.

   Agreed.

>  >   and my manager said: <<router is preferibly not to modify>>.
> He could just change router's configuration to whatever you choose for firewall address
> and remap all public traffic (filtering all you dont need) to your firewall. Then configuring
> your firewall would act as you configuring the router directly, except there is another
> gate beetween you and the wild wild internet. It's a good thing. Anyway, for more
> security, you should try to configure your router to drop all incomming connection
> on critical services running on firewall

   Your manager is a 'tard if he/she doesn't think the router is part
   of the security solution.  Sounds like he/she needs some educating
   by you.