Re: rlinetd security

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 09:21:56AM +0200, Sebastiaan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I found out that rlinetd seems like a great replacement for inetd, because
> > it lets you choose which services may be available for the outside world
> > and which only for the inner network. So, standard services like echo,
> > daytime, chargen, ftp, etc. are only available for the LAN, while it is
> > not possible to connect to these ports from the internet.
> >
> > But, how secure is this? Is it really what it seems?
>
> first you should ask yourself why you even need echo, daytime,
> discard, chargen and such.  i don't think ive ever found anyone who
> actually did need all of those.

Yes, that is a good question. I do not know where most of them are used
for, but because they are always installed, I assumed that these are
needed for correct system operation. But even if I would disable these
ports, I still want to use ftp, smtp and telnet only for my local network.

Thanks,
Sebastiaan