Kernal Panic

Hello Linuxer's,
  I am having a problem recompiling the 2.4.5 kernel on Debian potato
install.  I have loaded the latest Debian base box 2.2.19pre from the
internet and have updated the various support libraries, and programs
from http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian.  I have followed the Linux
kernal-HOWTO and retrieved the linux-2.4.5.tar.bz2, bunzip2 it and uncompressed
it with tar.  I used make oldconfig to see if I could just update the
kernel with 2.2 settings and get the same kernel panic below.  the lilo.conf
file points root=/dev/sda which is the correct hard disk.  I have a 3Com905C
NIC and ATI Rage video card.  When I reboot the PC,which is a Gateway
PIII 700, I get the following error.

.
..
TCP: Hash tables configured(established 16384 bind 16384)
NET4:  Unix domain sockets 1.0/smp for Linux NET4.0
ds: no socket drivers loaded
request-module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted.
VFS:  Cannot open root device "801" or 08:01

I can reboot back into Debian 2.2 just find.
PLEASE HELP

Thanks in advance

Dan Hutchinson
TASC

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com