Re: root fs/crypted

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 01:08:21AM -0700, paul@ulink.net wrote:
> Couldn't you say something like "I'm so sorry, I can't remember the pass
> phrase, my mind has failed me...etc?"

What about a more provable approach:

The passphrase could be changed automatically on every system
boot, and the new passphrase could be written to a floppy disk
on a clean shutdown (which, of course, is only possible with
the root password).

So if the police takes the computer and doesn't do the clean
shutdown (how could they?), you can tell them: Sorry folks,
you just destroyed the possibility to get any data from that computer...

This, of course, means that you lose your data if the computer
crashes.

Jan