From: Paul Dossett [mailto:paul@korangar.bpa.nu]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 12:00 PM
To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Problem with logging firewall packets

Hi guys/gals,

Okay, I'm *really* embarrassed about this, but I can't get syslog to log
firewall packets to a logfile - it insists on sending them to my Debian
box's console.  I've checked the /etc/syslog.conf file and there's no
mention of a console there at all, so what am I doing wrong?  The crappy
ipchains test script I've rigged is working, a grc.com scan is being blocked
in all the right ways, but I just can't get the logs on magnetic media...
what really simple, obvious, even-a-redheaded-stepchild-could-work-it-out
step am I missing?

Thanks...

Paul D
-crap-