Re: Logging packets from iptables

On 22-May-01, 16:50 (CDT), Chris Boyle <chrisb@wincoll.ac.uk> wrote:
> Firstly be aware that these are probably just responses from web servers
> you're browsing if they don't have the SYN (establish connection) flag set
> (80 is http).

Nope.

Port 80 is http _server_ -- this is port web servers listen on, and
web browsers send requests to. Replies from web servers do not come
back to 80, they come back to the client, at whatever (high-numbered,
non-privileged, pretty much arbitrary) port got allocated when the
client established the connection.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read