Re: What is port 500?

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 04:39:01PM -0700, Jeff wrote:
> Thusly Thwacked By Sami Juvonen:
> > On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 09:43:26AM -0700, Jeff wrote:
> > >   According to the port list resources in this thread, port 500
> > >   is isakmp (now referred to as ike).  It appears your ISP is
> >
> > Moreover, Win2000 machines will, with some configuration, always
> > try to establish an IPSec connection. You can often see them trying
> > to talk ipsec to a random webserver etc.
> >
> > -sami.
>
>    You say "with some configuration", so then you can disable
>    this action or is it a Winblows default that you can't touch?

Yes, sorry, not trying to be obscure, just tried to wave my hands
without actually checking...

Go to Local Area Connection Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Properties -> Advanced -> Options -> IP security -> Properties ->
Use this IP security policy (whew!).

If the above is set to "Server (Request Security)", it will try to
negotiate IPSec. It could well default to that in Server/Adv. Server,
can't remember.

-sami.