Re: Got root?

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 05:48:54AM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your proposition, but how is this different
> than, say, having inetd listen on ports below 1024, and then
> forking/changing to a different user once a connection is made to the port?

To use inetd, a new process is spawned for each connection, and the
daemon has to be written to use identd.  With his, it's just like
opening on a port above 1024.

Although my personal opinion is that it should be controled via
user/group, not binary.  eg, your webserver user can open port 80.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus