Re: MD5 sums of induvidual files?

Brandon High <armitage@freaks.com> writes:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Michael Boman wrote:
>
> > Is there a repository of MD5 sums for single files in a package?
>
> Look under /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums
>
> I don't know if there is an automated method of verifying that the sums
> match currently installed files though.

Try debsums -s and read man debsums.  Note that not all packages come
with an *.md5sums file :-(

  olaf@frodo:~$ dpkg -l | grep ^.i | wc -l
      536
  olaf@frodo:~$ ls /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list | wc -l	# faster
      536
  olaf@frodo:~$ ls /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums | wc -l
      429

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development

Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out, but that is
not the reason we are doing it                      -- Richard Feynman