Re: IPChains vs Cisco IOS Packer Filters

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 11:35:57AM -0700, Jeff Coppock wrote:
> IOS does packet filtering, it's not stateful in any way.  You won't be losing anything by using ipchains.  Depending on the system you run ipchains on and the router you use, you could get better performance with ipchains on a fast pentium for less money, and it sounds like you'd have more control over it.

Hmm, to some extend, cisco router IOS does support stateful packet filtering, using the established keyword in the access list, but the packet filtering options for Cisco IOS are limited, so looking into full blown packet filters would be a wise thing to do.

Personally I use OpenBSD and IPFilter as my firewall, so i'm a bit off topic, but IPFilter is available for Linux and is a stateful packet filter.
IPFilter is quite easy to configure and maintain.

http://www.ipfilter.org

Grtz,

Sander