Re: setting up sudo for tail

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 12:49:32AM +0000, Jim Breton wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 12:38:10AM +0000, Adam Olsen wrote:
> > So my question: how do I set this up properly?
>
> Not with sudo. ;)
>
> chgrp adm /var/log/syslog # change group of file to "adm"
> adduser (yourself) adm # put yourself into group "adm"
>
> logout
>
> log in again
> :bam:
>
> ;D

You know, I've thought about doing that before, but I didn't know
exactly what adm had access to so I didn't want to add myself.
Looking now though (just did a find / -group adm), I see it has write
access to nothing, and only read access to stuff in /var/log,
/var/account/pacct*, and /dev/xconsole.  The /var/account/pacct files
are completely empty, so no worries there.  What's /dev/xconsole
though?

And for the record, is there any way to get sudo working?

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus