Re: empty log files

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 10:55:52AM -0300, H?lio Alexandre Lopes Loureiro wrote:

> 	Verify if your "/etc/syslog.conf" is right:
>
> kern.*	<tab>	-/var/log/kern.log

They are, in fact, tabs.  Actually, the syslog.conf file is the one
that came w/ debian's sysklogd package; i haven't touched it.

> where "<tab>" is a real tabulation (don't write it).  Run a "killall -HUP
> syslogd" and use a "ipchains -A input -p all -l" to test.  Finally ping

Both are 2.4.3 boxes; one is built w/ netfilter support, the other w/out.
So, it's definitely not a firewalling issue..

> yourself (ping localhost).

--- localhost ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/mdev = 0.040/0.047/0.054/0.007 ms

Gosh, i feel so dirty now..

> If it don't work, you're (or your syslog) in trouble.

I hope not. :(

Any other ideas?  I'm starting to wonder if this is a bug in the kernel,
or w/ the 2.4.3 w/ debian syslog interaction.  Mar. 18 and 20th were the
last days something was logged; this coincides w/ when I switched to
2.4.3-pre4 or 2.4.3-pre5 (according to timestamps on ftp.kernel.org).
Anyone else notice kernel syslogging _stop_ completely when they switched
from 2.4.2 to 2.4.3 (or one of the 2.4.3-preX's)?

(I'm considering crossposting to lk, but I'll wait until I'm certain..)