Re: Access to my server

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:27:25AM +0100, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> I've seen via iplog that someone had tried to access to my server. How can I
> know who he is knowing his IP address ?

Well, you can do a 'whois -h whois.arin.net <IP>' which will tell you
who own the netblock containing his IP.  However, that doesn't
necessarily mean much at all.  Chances are the person who is actually
attempting to access your machine is not a legitimate user of the source
machine.  In other words, the source machine was cracked, and the
cracker is probing your server.  The owners of the machine will most
likely be interested in knowing that their machine is cracked, but
there's not much they can do about it except try to get rid of the
cracker.

noah