Re: promiscuous eth0

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 09:51:07AM -0800, Jeff Coppock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Turning on Multicast works.  I like this better than turning on promiscuous.  I need to figure out why this isn't turning on automagically at startup.  If multicast is not set in the kernel, will that cause this?  Makes sense to me.

 Depending on your NIC, multicast might be implemented by running in promisc
mode, since some NICs can't filter multicast packets, so the kernel has to
get them all and do the filtering itself.

 If you want to test this, run  watch -n1 cat /proc/interrupts  while you
aren't doing anything with the network.  See if your card is generating
interrupts when there is network traffic that isn't to or from you (and
isn't broadcast.)  If it is, then the hardware is in promiscuous mode.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y