Re: promiscuous eth0

Jeff,

It can potentially slow your machine down somewhat, as now the kernel has
to handle each and every frame transmitted on the network eth0 is attached
to, rather than only the ones addressed to your machine and
broadcasts. Quite a lot of load if your system isn't addressed much on a
high-traffic LAN.

Also, paranoid network administrators might be a little upset by it, since
Linux sends out a frame indicating it is switching into (or out
of) promiscuous mode. This is possible evidence that you're running a
sniffer of some kind (such as snort).

It seems quite strange that your PCMCIA network card doesn't function
properly unless promiscuous mode is enabled. This is not normal behavior,
and should be investigated as a technical difficulty.

Regards,

Alex.

---
PGP/GPG Fingerprint:
  EFD1 AC6C 7ED5 E453 C367  AC7A B474 16E0 758D 7ED9