Re: Debian or Linux 7???

How exactly did you get hacked? Did you leave security wholes large enough for a bus to drive through open? Open your inetd.conf file and # out everything! The only thing you need open is port 22. Others will disagree, but depending on what you server is used for, this should be your first step for security.

From: Steve Rudd <srudd@bible.ca>
To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Debian or Linux 7???
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:12:29 -0500

Hi!

I am frustrated with the linux 2.2 kernel. I have had two hacks in 3 months
and I am going broke rebuilding my server.

I went out and bought Redhat 7, and got hacked 6 weeks later.

I have been placed in contact with a guy who wants me to use Debian. But if
it based upon the same kernel as redhat, how is it going to be more secure?
I checked and found that

from (http://www.securityfocus.com/)
Security risks for years: 1997-2000 respectively:
Debian 3, 2, 32, 45, 12
RedHat 6, 10, 49, 85, 20

So Debian is about twice as good as redhat, but that is not real reassuring.

I am considering joining the debian family, but am a bit concerned about
security.

Just how much more secure is Debian than redhat?

Thanks!

Steve Rudd