Re: secure install

Izak Burger <gpf@linuxuser.co.za> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Raphael Bauduin wrote:
>
> > Does that mean that if someone installs a package with dselect, dselect
> > will in any case install all those unwanted packages?

Nope, see below.  It's just that dselect believes you need everything
(well most at least) that is priority important or standard unless you
tell it otherwise.

> I had this experience too.  I install a nice working system and the
> moment I run dselect to install a few other things, it installs a
> whole lot of things I'm REALLY not interested in.  These days I try to
> stick with apt-get.

I developed a habit of pressing `_' with the cursor on the `Available
packages (not currently installed)' line, fix up the conflicts and hit
`Q' (shift-q).  Not elegant, but very effective.

BTW, if your access method is apt based it _asks_ you if you want to
continue IIRC.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development