Re: sources.list

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Duane Powers wrote:

> I have a question - I have a dozen boxen that I am maintaining, all with
> Debian ( almost all potato - one woody) I would like to save bandwidth
> and centralize administration by utilizing one of the boxes as a apt-get
> source. then I can apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade ; done, on one
> box, and save all the .deb's then use those .deb's for the other boxen
> without actually mirroring the whole debian site.

Here is one way to do it:

- install a web proxy (e.g. squid) on one of your computers
- direct apt to go through the proxy (you need to add one line to the apt
configuration file, I don't quite remember the syntax but you will find it
in the man page)

In this way, the first box you upgrade will cause the proxy server to
download the packages, all the subsequent ones will get the cached file.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, gmulas@tiscalinet.it>

OSSERVATORIO  ASTRONOMICO
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 216     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)