From: Techno Bob <tbob@TECHIE.COM>
To: VULN-DEV@SECURITYFOCUS.COM
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 17:23:35 -0500
Subject: Re: traceroute-4.4BSD (slack) heap overflow

------Original Message------

Yep, I know, that's exactly why I posted it here, because I found no proper
way to exploit it, even by modifying /etc/hosts :)
Btw, isn't there any environment variable that allows you to specify the
hosts file being used?

-------------------------------
Yep, try this:

$ export RESOLV_HOST_CONF= any file you want

And this can be done by user-level because this used to be a way to view
/etc/shadow.
Combine this with the exploit method I suggested earlier and you've got a
pretty plausable exploitation method.

Thanx
TBob
"Veni Vermini Vomui"