Re: Problems with root on network clients

* Ethan Benson

| note that i don't fully understand how coda works, but the impression
| i get is you need a very large ammount of LOCAL disk space to hold
| coda's cache/offline storage.  this to me defeats the purpose of a
| network filesystem in a large number of cases (i have several machines
| with not much disk, and one with lots of space, thus i export /home)

No, you don't have to have a large cache, but if you want to be able
to work without network connectivity, you want to have a large cache.

| coda is also very non-trivial to administer and maintain from what i
| can see.  its just not designed with small setups in mind.  NFS is a
| very simple and convenient network filesystem, it just lacks any
| attempt at a security infrastructure.

Then you have to plug it in, using something like
<URL:ftp://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/keithl/SES/> , which exports your home
directory, if you first successfully authenticate using Kerberos.

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.