Re: restricted bash (rbash)

Pedro Zorzenon Neto wrote:

> Hi, all
>
>   I put /bin/rbash as the default shell (in /etc/passwd) for some users
> that
> I just want them to use a restricted login.

<snip>

Ok, I'm assuming you only want users who have this shell to only be able
to access certian things, run only a limited set of commands?

If thats the case, then you'd be best to setup a chroot jail. That way
they can't breakout (unless they are root).

Personally, a chroot jail is the only thing I trust when I need to setup
an isolated or restricted environment. Its difficult to break out of a
chroot jail even when you are root, but it can be done. So ensure they
can't get root. :)

Nick

--
Nick Clifford
M2 Technology Ltd

Confidentiality: This e-mail is from M2 Technology Limited.  The
contents are confidential and are intended only for the named recipient
of the e-mail.  If  the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
recipient you are hereby notified that any use, copying, disclosure or
distribution of the information contained in the e-mail is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply to
us immediately at the above e-mail address and delete the document from
your e-mail system.

Viruses: Any loss or damage caused by using this material is not the
senders responsibility.  M2 Technology Limited entire liability will be
limited to re-supplying the contents contained in the e-mail.  No
warranty is made the contents are free from computer virus or other
defect.