Re: something on port 98?

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Bradley M Alexander wrote:

>    Filtered  means  that a firewall, filter, or other network obstacle
>    is covering the port and preventing  nmap from  determining  whether
>    the  port is open.
>
> Are you running IPchains that is specifically blocking port 98? That would
> make sense for an IPchains firewall to block port 98 out of the box since
> you wouldn't want linuxconf access to the Internet at large. Getting a
> connection refused is okay too from localhost:

Could there be a router between you and the remote machine which blocks
port 98? If I port-scan my own machine (on a university network) from a
host outside the university, then several port are listed as "filtered" --
some of which I know are open, and some I know are closed. These are all
caused by port blocks on the university's external routers. Might
something similar be the case here?

HTH,
Zak.