Re: sorry for the wide question but

* Allen Ahoffman

| We know the guy replaced netstat, ls, ps, and some other stuff, set up
| camp in /tmp, uses a hacked telnetd on a higher port, and gains root
| access, but we are looking for the hacks that get people in without
| passwords to start with.

[..]

| its kernel 2.0.12 on the machine.

If the rest of the box is that old, it's probably more or less riddled
with holes.  The _only_ thing to do after a root compromise is full
reinstall from known good media.  It's faster and easier.  And you
have to ability to switch to debian as well!  :)

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.