Re: strange upd traffic (ipchains newbie)

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Thomas Guettler wrote:

> I just made my first ipchains to see what kind
> of traffic there is.
>
> on accounting rule is:
> ipchains -A output -d 193.101.57.0/24 -p udp -j ACCEPT
>
> "ipchains -L -v" tells me that there is a lot of traffic.
> (15M/day!)
>
> But "netstat -u" tells me that there is no connection
>
> Any help welcome.

Do you have any broadcasts going around ? a lot of them are also UDP,
a good example is windows networking (also known as SMB).
The larger the network the more broadcasts you'll see, the more MB's it
will generate per day. I'm not sure what the frequenty is, but it be
something like 1 small packet per 60 seconds per machine.