RE: How can I help ?

Ronny and all,

If you want to use LDAP, I suggest you do LDAP over SSL/TLS. The current
OpenLDAP doesn't support it natively, but I believe there's a patch, and
of course there's always wrappers like stunnel.

Of course, if you want to use user authentication from Windows, using PAM
is more or less out of the question. LDAP, of course, is not, and neither
is SSL/TLS.

By the way, Samba already is able to use LDAP for authentication, though
it's not too great, last I checked. Maybe you fellows could work on
it?

Finally, if any of you have any knowledge of programming Windows drivers,
I suggest you write a replacement and/or hack for the "Client for
Microsoft Networks" driver, so that it can talk to Samba over SSL/TLS,
which would be a very nice thing to have. (I hate the idea of sending my
password in the clear over a SMB connection...)

Regards,

Alex.

---
PGP/GPG Fingerprint:
  EFD1 AC6C 7ED5 E453 C367  AC7A B474 16E0 758D 7ED9