Re: is it really useful to use chroot? (was: bind running as root in Mandrake 7.0)

chrooting bind is probably worthwhile because

* bind has an abysmal record
* gaining access to the system with uid/gid==bind may well allow an
intruder to gain elevated privileges by exploiting a locally-accessible
vulnerability, which would otherwise not be exposed

yes, it's a pain, but it should be an option at least until a more secure
dns makes its way into the distribution.

regards,

thomas