Re: bind running as root in Mandrake 7.0

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 12:59:36PM +0100, Zak Kipling wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > idiots should not be running bind.
>
> Very true. But we can't very well have an install script which asks "Are
> you an idiot?" and aborts installation if the user answers "Yes" ;-)
> Bottom line is idiots *will* run bind anyway (after all they are
> idiots...) So better that the default mode should be (relatively) safe,
> requiring active intervention (and presumably knowledge) to open the big
> holes like running it as root -- which as has already been pointed out is
> only likely to be desirable for a very small minority of users.

i completly agree, that is bind should be installed defaulting to
running as named.named (which should be in the base-passwd btw) and
probably chrooted as well.  anyone needing a less secure configuration
should know how to edit the initscripts and config files themselves
with thier $EDITOR.

i don't think it is necessary (or really desirable) to have the
postinst asking about running bind as root, i think that the number of
people who need it is far to small to justify ya interuption in the
system install.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/