Re: bind running as root in Mandrake 7.0

> On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 04:03:51PM +0200, Nicolas MONNET wrote:
> > bind is run as user / group 'root' in Mandrake 7.0, and probably in
> > Redhat6.x as well.
>
> Debian Slink and Potato (frozen) both install BIND 8.2.2R5 as root.

There was a long standing discussion on this which basically boils down to the
fact that if you obtain your address dynamically or have dynamic interfaces
(some form of PPP or anything on PCMCIA) you have to run it as root in order
for bind to use these interfaces.

bind does not bind 0.0.0.0:53. It for one or another reason binds every
interface separately. Hence if an interface is not available at bind start
time and bind does not run as root the interfaces are not rebound.

So running as non-root will not work in some cases. They may be covered in any
of the listed distros but this means making bind, all dhcp-clients, pcmcia,
ppp, ad naseum depend on each other and mess with each other's init scripts.
For now I do not know of a distro that does this.

[snip]