Re: What is "Warning: /boot/System.map-XXXX does not match kernel data"

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 09:37:24AM +0000, Jim Breton wrote:
|On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 06:30:43PM +0900, Julian Stoev wrote:
|> Warning: /boot/System.map-2.2.18 does not match kernel data.
|>
|> Can somebody explain this? Is this a security problem? I remember
|> reading something about fake kernel modules?
|
|Most likely you only forgot to copy the new System.map which was created
|when you built this kernel.

No. I am using kernel-package for at least 1 year to build custom
kernels.
The SPARC I mentioned above is Debian-stable
The Intel machine is last unstable.

I suspected the strange behaviour is triggered by autofs, but it is
possible I am wrong. I use autofs to mount smbfs on demand on the
SPARC, but I don't use autofs on my Intel PC. Today I got these
messages on my PC also and I wrote the mail to this list.

Is it possible there is some error in the kernel? The only difference
between Debian binary kernels and my SPARC kernel is the quota
support. Or there is something worse going?

--JS