Re: /dev/fb* permissions, local DoS

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 01:13:42AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
<snip>

> Only all apps which need a framebuffer device to work...

Well, only the person on the console can run those apps anyway and thus should
be the only one with access to the devices.

> > Doesn't crash my i386 (riva tnt2, XF4) - but does put pretty colors over
> > the top 1/3 of the screen before cat exits with "write error: No space left
> > on device".
>
> Yep, I think the crash is a bug in the framebuffer device, just like the other
> problem where even reading from /dev/fb* caused a crash with atyfb IIRC.

It's still a problem without the crash since any local user can overwrite the
console screen with garbage.

Regards,

Chris

       Knuth: premature optimization is the root of all evil.
Reply with subject 'request key' for GPG public key.  KeyID 0xB4E24219