Re: OS Hardening

I believe he was talking about a hardening script, which would
imply some sort of automated script that removes setuid bits,
permissions, etc, throughout the filesystem.  To this end, I agree
with Wichert; it's not needed in debian.  Very few binaries are
setuid root, and permissions are generally well thought out,
and/or give you a choice (user home directories, for example,
and the new debconf question of whether to make them
world-readable).

The HOWTO, on the other hand, falls under the
category of know-what-you're-doing-and-do-it-safely.  About
the only things I can see being put into a script from that
HOWTO is setting logfile permissions and using md5 with passwords.
Most of the rest of the HOWTO depends heavily on your needs,
preferences, and configuration.

--
"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited
by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when