Re: System log monitor

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 11:17:34AM +1100, Steve wrote:
> Unfortunately, none of this solves the overall problem of packages
> introducing badly formed ignore rules.  In the end is suppose you will
> just have to trust subsystems to perform sensible checks and not be
> too general, and file bug-reports against those that don't.

 I don't think it is possible to make it "foolproof", unless the log output
from each program goes to a different file, so it is known which filter to
apply.  Some designs would probably make it easier to get correct, but I
think the most important thing will be to provide some skeleton regexs that
match the timestamp hostname program[pid]:message format commonly used, so
people don't try to start from scratch.  Something like
^[A-Za-z]{3} [ 0-9]{2} ([0-9]{2}:){2}[0-9]{2} [^ ]* program: message

 This requires explicit matching of the month, day, and time fields.  (BTW,
this is an extended regex, so use egrep or use \ a lot :)  As long as host
names don't contain spaces in them, it should work.  Maybe a regex other
than [^ ]* should be used to match the hostname.

 This might also lead people to use more consistent log message formats,
which is probably a good thing.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y