Re: sunrpc

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 20:57:38 +0000, Kozman Balint wrote:
> Sorry for the stupid question, but what is the funny 'sunrpc - 111' port?

That's portmap(8).

> I scanned my site, and found it open, but I didn't set it up in inetd.conf
> and don't know which daemon listens it.

It is used in dealing with RPC (Remote Procedure Calls), on which in
particular NFS is based.

The portmap daemon is started by /etc/init.d/portmap, not by inetd.

HTH,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch