Re: all .deb md5sums

Jim Breton <jamesb-debian@alongtheway.com> writes:
>Is there someplace on debian.org from which I can get a file or files
>containing the md5sums of all the packages?  Not the packages' contents,
>but the packages themselves.

The Packages files in the distribution contain this information. A
simple way to get them all is to "apt-get update" from a site you
trust (temporarily remove all other entries from sources.list), and
then look at /var/lib/dpkg/available. All packages should have an
MD5sum field.

(Note that you need to trust the site where you get the Packages
files. I seem to remember reading from the Debian Weekly News a few
months ago that someone is working on having cryptographically signed
packages or Packages files, so this will probably get better in the
future.)

--
-=- Rjs -=- rjs@lloke.dna.fi