Re: GNOME'e nterm service: use lsof to find what PID

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 05:32:47PM +0000, Jim Breton wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 11:55:55AM +0100, Sergio Brandano wrote:
> > -- Description of Bug
> >  GNOME-SESSION makes available the "nterm" tcp/ip service in port 1026:
> >
> > --> netstat -anp | egrep 1026
> > tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1026            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      295/gnome-session
>

> Furthermore, have you tried to see if gnome-session binds to 1026
> _every_ time, or does it try the next available port if 1026 is
> unavailable?
>
> It's likely that it just grabs the first port it can bind to.  Stop
> gnome-session, bind something else to port 1026, start gnome-session
> again and see if it listens on a different port this time.

 Here's a better idea: (as root) run
lsof -i tcp:1026
to show all open files (sockets in this case) that have a port number of 1026.
It also tells you what PID and command own the file.  This is what you
really want to know.  Let us know what program is actually listening here.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y