Re: ICMP Source routed packets

Hi,

thanks for the confirmation of what I thought, but the main question remains:
how come I have such a message in dmesg:

ICMP: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX: Source Route Failed.

It means this computer sent a source routed packet to the XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
address, and it shouldn't have done it as it throws this packets away....

I'm going to run tcpdump to dump source routed packets (I just have to figure
out what's the filter I need ;-)

Raph

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 04:41:36PM +0200, Raphael Bauduin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have this in my dmesg:
> >
> > ICMP: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX: Source Route Failed.
> >
> > >From the info I found, it means this machine sent a ICMP source routed
> > > packet
> >
> > and that this packet was rejected by the machine XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (this is
> > a web server....).
> >
> > >From what I see, the linux kernel rejects source routed packet (option
> >
> > CONFIG_IP_NOSR=y). But is this only for IP packets or is it applied to
> > ICMP? If it applies to ICMP, how come I get this error?
>
>  ICMP is a protocol on the level of UDP or TCP.  It is sent inside IP.
> Thus, a source routed ICMP packet _is_ a source routed IP packet.
> Obviously, the answer to your question is that it will apply.

             |  /\\     Linux for ever     //\  |

   If windows is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.