Re: Have I misunderstood an ipchains concept?

> What they are saying is that a machine *should* never recieve a packet that
> has originated from outside the machine, yet claims (by way of the source
> IP) to have originated from that machine?

Exactly. A packet arriving on an eth interface comes from outside.
I always thought that a packet destined to the host itself would
arrive on the loopback interface, no matter what.

Nevertheless a broadcast initiated on a host "seems to come from"
outside it, not lo.

> There are probably better ways of protecting against this...

This is surely true, but not the point. I rather relied on
that bahavior.

Regards

Christian