Re: possible security flaw in screen 3.9.5-9

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 10:07:37PM -0400, Matthew W Miller wrote:
> {Big Snip}
> How would a quota stop the user from stuffing /var to its limit? Isn't
> that part of the problem where the user could stuff /var and hemorrage the
> logs?

Through not allowing the user full access to the free space. Possible holes
are:

a. many users could accidentally or otherwise smurf the free space anyhow
b. an opportune moment may happen where the free space left on /var is less
   then the quota allows.

You could make the quota insanely small, but that may break what you're
trying to do in allowing users /var access and it feels more of a little
dutch boy solution. (picutre 5 yr old kid with finger stuffed in a hole
of a dam, trying to stop it leaking :)

--
CaT (cat@zip.com.au)

	'He had position, but I was determined to score.'
		-- Worf, DS9, Season 5: 'Let He Who Is Without Sin...'