Re: SecurityPortal Review of Potato

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:07:43 -0400 (EDT)
Steve Robbins <steve@nyongwa.montreal.qc.ca> wrote:

> I have taken to inserting "exit 0" at the top of the init.d/foo
> script.  Since they are marked as conffiles (always I hope?), I
> get the chance to keep my modified conffile and it won't restart
> after upgrade.

> Is there a better way?

IRIX has the concept of a set of persistent flags which in turn
control the system init scripts and are accessed by the "chkconfig"
utility (the RH "chkconfig" tool is but a wan and misunderstood
shadow of the original).  The flags control whether or not various
things are turned on, are reported, or are in some sense true for
the system.  By running chkconfig you get get a report of what
things are turned on and off on a given system, can turn items on or
off, can query individual items for state, etc.

Its a nice idea, and damned useful, much like their describe tools
(gives a full hardware and OS status report).

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder@kanga.nu