article will surely annoy many

Here is an article I found today, I suspect this will get everyone going
one way or another.

It does certainly raise questions.

   SecurityPortal Aug 30, 2000
   About Us Feedback
   options SUBSCRIBE to our
   Weekly Newsletter
   Hot Topics!
   . Ask Buffy
   . PGP ADK Bug
   . Personal Firewalls
   . Prevent Loss Top News
   . All Security
   . Linux Security
   . Microsoft Security
   . Virus Security
   . Security Press Releases Features
   . Cover Story
   . Kurt's Closet
   . Weekly Digests
   . Top Twenty Virus
   . Feature Archives

   Research Center
   NetRadarEWS
   CryptoArchive
   Defense Summit
   Security 101
   Security Services
   Career Center
   Discussion Forum

   Get SecurityPortal To Go
   Secure your site with VeriSign today!

                                  Debian 2.2

   Kurt Seifried (seifried@securityportal.com) for SecurityPortal

   Closet Archive

                                       Subscribe to our weekly newsletter
                                                   Email: _______________
                                                    Name: _______________
                                                                Subscribe

   August 30, 2000 - I wanted to write a really positive article about
   Debian 2.2, which was just released a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I
   can't. While Debian itself is a reasonably well-done Linux
   distribution, it has some major security issues.

   Before you flame me, please read the entire article. I realize there
   are a lot of nice things about Debian, but I've also found a lot of
   problems. The odd thing is that Debian seems to have gotten the niggly
   little details right, but there are major issues they haven't
   addressed.

Default Installation

   I did several installations, and I can safely say I don't terribly
   like the defaults Debian uses. The first thing I noticed was that
   while formatting the disk, Debian defaults to an enormous / partition
   and a swap partition. Unless you use quotas, a user can easily fill up
   the disk (/home/username, /tmp, /var/spool/mail/username, etc.). While
   a certain percentage is reserved for root, that doesn't help other
   users much. Admittedly, most distributions (or operating systems in
   general, for that fact) don't do a great job of this. But there are a
   few, like Red Hat, that do.

   The next default that really ticks me off is the password encryption
   scheme - the default is to use crypt. You can also use MD5, but there
   is a warning about compatibility. crypt passwords are trivial to
   brute-force when compared to MD5ed ones. Debian now uses PAM. Causing
   problems is relatively rare, unless you have some truly ancient
   software with no PAM support.

   Moving on. Once the basic install is done, you will discover that
   several services are enabled in inetd that shouldn't be. Discard,
   daytime, time, shell, login, and exec (r services) are all enabled by
   default, few of which (none, in my opinion) are needed on modern
   systems. You definitely want to disable these by commenting them out
   in inetd and restarting inetd or rebooting the system. If you need to
   test connectivity, use ping; to synchronize clocks, xntp; to use r
   services, install OpenSSH or SSH and use the secure replacements.

   Some minor points of light: gnuplot needs to be installed setuid root
   for users to use console SVGA - the default is no. This is good, since
   any users that need SVGA are local and can probably be trusted (they
   have physical access, after all). Remote users do not need it.

   Exim (if configured during install) gives you the option to use the
   RBL (Real-time Blackhole List). Unfortunately, it looks like RBL has
   not been working properly since August 10th. The config also prompts
   you to set the user account that root's email will be sent to,
   generally a good idea.

General Problems

   dpkg - My main beef with dpkg is the lack of package signing support.
   Unlike RPM, dpkg does not support the signing of packages with GnuPG
   or PGP. This is important, since verifying the software you are
   installing prevents people from getting you to install Trojan horses.

   As an example, the ftp site ftp.win.tue.nl was cracked into some time
   ago, and several packages were replaced with Trojaned versions.
   TCP_WRAPPERS was compromised, among other things. Over 50 people
   downloaded these packages before someone noticed they were not
   properly signed with PGP, and raised the alarm.

   MD5 signatures can be used, but the attacker will modify those if
   possible, so you must somehow get the MD5 sums from a trusted host
   (https:// for example). This is extremely impractical and generally a
   pain for most users. OTOH GnuPG-signed RPMs are simply verified with
   "rpm --checksig," and the public key for the vendor only needs to be
   downloaded once.

   It is far from difficult for an attacker to hit your DNS server and
   poison it, i.e. pointing ftp.crc.ca to the IP of a server they
   control. Then, the next time you upgrade or install packages, you get
   modified software which lets the attacker take over your machine
   remotely. They can also simply break into an ftp server and replace
   the packages. Chances are they would not be discovered for some time,
   and even when they are, contacting all the people that downloaded
   software is a difficult task.

   Hopefully, dpkg will be changed in the near future to support signing
   of software, especially with GPL-licensed software such as GnUPG now
   available.

   Home directories for users in Debian are by default world readable and
   executable (to change into a directory, you need executable
   permission). This is a very bad idea. It is made even worse by the
   fact that the default umask is 022. This is the default in most other
   distros as well, but because the home directories are world readable,
   any file a user creates (say "emacs personal-notes.txt") will be world
   readable by default. Any user on the system can read any other user's
   files.

   If something like a Web-based cgi is setup improperly, the attacker
   would be able to view any user's files. The default in Red Hat, for
   example is to set the user directory so only the user can read, write
   or execute it. The group owner and other (i.e. anyone else) has 0
   permissions and cannot get in at all. The best solution for this is to
   secure the user directories with:
chmod go-rwx /home/username

   The user can also do this on their own, since they own the directory.
   Note that this will break the default
   http://www.example.org/~username/ behavior of Apache; the default
   directory is /home/username/public_html/. It needs to be world
   readable and executable, since Apache runs as the user nobody.
   Hopefully, Debian will issue an upgrade to adduser soon that addresses
   this.

   LILO is also configured very poorly. Despite the fact that Debian 2.2
   specifies "sulogin" for single user mode, prompting a user for the
   root password is easily bypassed, by entering the following argument
   at the LILO command line:

Linux init=/bin/sh

   You are conveniently dumped to a command prompt as root (just as the
   command "single" would if sulogin were not used). This is very sloppy.
   While Debian has gone to significant trouble to fix one problem (by
   installing sulogin), it is easily defeated. The addition of two lines
   to /etc/lilo.conf would solve the problem:

restricted
password=somepassword

   This is, of course, also useless if all Debian 2.2 machines have the
   same default password. During install the user should be prompted to
   enter a password for LILO, and the LILO configuration file should be
   protected from users (as it is in Debian 2.2). If you do choose to
   uncomment the existing password line, make sure you change the
   password from the default of "tatercounter2000".

Daemons

   Apache - Why in the name of all that is holy did Debian ship Apache
   1.3.9? 1.3.12 is out (has been for several months) and includes
   numerous fixes, some for pretty serious problems (like the cross-site
   scripting vulnerability). It's not like 1.3.12 is unstable or flaky. I
   find this odd, since Debian goes to the trouble of creating a
   "www-data" user and group to run the Apache server as.

   ProFTPD - They ship 1.2.0pre10, which has this annoying little root
   hack. Again, a newer version of ProFTPD has been available: 1.2.10rc1
   (Release Candidate, i.e. the one you should use). It was made
   available on July 11th, just over one month before Debian 2.2 was
   released.

   This portion could be rather long, so I'll cut the list short. Debian
   has shipped more than a few daemons that have severe security
   problems, many of which were fixed well before Debian 2.2 was
   released. I find this unacceptable, especially in the light that
   Debian has not released any updates for these packages!

Other Software

   There are also a number of other packages with security flaws and no
   updates available yet. Xchat, for example, has a well-known hole. Red
   Hat and Mandrake have issued updates; nothing from Debian yet.

   Netscape is currently up to version 4.73 on Debian, a minor problem
   when there is a serious bug in JPEG handling and a hole in the Java
   that you can march the Chinese army through. Unless you disable Java
   in Netscape, your Web browser can be turned into a web server by
   malicious Java code on a Web site. Most other vendors have issued
   updated versions. You'd think that now that 2.2 is out the door,
   Debian could focus a lot of activity on fixing it.

Summary

   Debian's goal of a bug free-release hasn't been met. But to be fair,
   it's not like any software vendor will ever release bug-free software.
   Debian has done a particularly bad job in my opinion, shipping
   out-of-date software and especially publicly available network daemons
   that have root hacks in them.

   If you do go with Debian, you'll have a lot of manual updating ahead
   of you to bring it up-to-date and secure it. Unfortunately, the
   argument "apt-get, apt-upgrade" won't work, since many of these
   updates are not available as dpkg's yet.

   Debian has also ignored a lot of work other vendors have put into
   making their distributions more secure. If you don't learn from the
   mistakes and improvements of others, there is little hope. This is
   especially frustrating in light of Debian's effort to secure various
   parts of the distribution, using Exim by default instead of Sendmail.
   Having seen things like that during the install, I had a lot of hope
   for Debian, but my hopes were dashed to pieces upon closer inspection.

   Kurt Seifried (seifried@securityportal.com) is a security analyst and
   the author of the Linux Administrators Security Guide, a source of
   natural fiber and Linux security, part of a complete breakfast. He
   will probably not respond to flame mail, so don't bother.

   HEADLINES
   Debian 2.2
   Top 20 Virus Report
   SSL Server Security Survey
   NAI: W32/NewsTick Virus
   ComputerWorld: Federal agencies face grading on security readiness

   [LINK]

   Print this article

   Home | Search | Feedback | Privacy Policy | Advertise | About
   SecurityPortal © Copyright 1999,2000 Security Portal, Inc. All rights
   reserved.