Re: suid shell scripts

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 01:32:10AM +0000, Jim Breton wrote:
> Simple question: are suid/sgid shell scripts allowed in Linux?

no, the kernel ignores s[ug]id bits on scripts.

> I thought they were, but after I tried writing one and running it, it
> appears that they are not.

yup

> Is the elevated privilege dropped back to normal by bash, or by the
> kernel itself?

kernel it never grants elevated privileges.

> (I am aware of the security issues, I just want to know the answer to
> this).

the security issues are twofold, first there is a race condition
between which the kernel read the interpreter line and execs /bin/sh
(or whatever) to run the script, it could be replaced by then...
(this is solvable by using /dev/fd or something) but there are also
endless games users can play to trick the script into doing evil
things.  better option is perl+suidperl or a C program.  perl at least
provides a way to write secure suid scripts.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/