Re: On the security of e-mails

On 26-May-2000 Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> Bradley,
>
> Uhm, isn't Sendmail's SMTP-over-SSL thing supposed to conform to some
> standard..? I seriously doubt the other endpoint has to be
> Sendmail; rather, I think it probably only needs to be running a proper
> SMTP-over-SSL implementation. If this is the case, then this can be done
> with stunnel and your favorite MTA. (mine being qmail... why doesn't
> everyone use qmail..?)

I think it is standard because I read the postfix TLS enhancement doc's and
here is snip from description:

Overview:
=========
- This is an SSL/TLS enhancement package for postfix.
  It realizes (well, or at least should, once it is finished) the
  STARTTLS extension to SMTP as described in RFC2487 and used
  by Netscape 4.5x.

RFC2487 is "SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over TLS"

So, all SMTP MTA's with SSL/TLS should cooperate, shouldn't they?

E-Mail: Milan P. Stanic <mps@4net.co.yu>
Key fingerprint = EA81 54A6 7F35 5A38 FCE6  9EF6 9D24 E68E 5C1D AF15