Re: PGP vs. GPG

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 02:03:12AM +0200, Jure Mercun wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have some problems (as usually...)...
> They're probably pretty lame, but I can't
> find the answers, so here they go:
>
> I don't have a lot of experiences with
> PGP and GPG but it seems that PGP doesn't
> recognize GPG's keys and vice versa. Is
> there some way, to make a key that would
> work on both?
>
> I was testing with GPG(0.4.3-1) and
                        ^^^^^^^^^

that version is anchient, and was not very compatible, even with newer
PGP.  GPG is not really compatible with PGP2.6 (read RSA/IDEA) (not
without the non-free extensions)

> PGP(2.6.3a-4 and 5.0-3). I still use slink...

try GPG 1.0.1, compile it yourself if the .debs don't work.  any
further compatiblity problems with PGP5 can be blamed on PGP, its very
buggy and not OpenPGP compliant.

> Btw, the keys seem to work even after
> the expirery (is it spelled correctly?) date.
> What are they used for(the dates)? Are they
> only information for the user?

after the expiration date has passed you should be unable to encrypt
anything with the expired public key.  you can still decrypt with the
private key.  i think the software should not allow signatures with an
expired key but im not sure if GPG enforces that or not.  expiration
is more to get others to stop using a public key then to get the owner
to stop using it.  some people say you should always have your keys
expire, and i suppose that might be useful but on the other hand if
you do that you have to start over in getting your key certified and
reintegrated into the trust circle.  (which is not very easy if you
are in isolated locations (see my email :))

> How exactly can a revocation certificate
> be used? I read that it can be used to make
> the key useless... How?

revoke the key and submit it (the revoked pub key) to a keyserver,
when others update thier keyrings the key becomes revoked and they can
no longer encrypt with it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/